Thursday, August 16, 2007

Installing Flex 3 Beta on Eclipse Europa J2EE Did not Install




After my previous investigation on installing Flex 2 on Eclipse Europa J2EE edition (which did not work), it prompted me to set up a Flex 3 beta environment with the same Eclipse Europa J2EE edition, which is still on my system (in a different directory then my Eclipse 3.1.x / Flex 2 installation).


Suffice it to say, it appears to installation proceeded further than when I attempted to install Flex 2.0.1 on Eclipse Europa. However, I got an installation error at the end of the process:



The installation dialog box stated that the installation process was complete, in spite of the error. So I opened up the log file to explore the error further. The log file had a cryptic filename (1187285806401.log) located in my D:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration folder.

Opening the file in Notepad revealed the following text (text cleaned up for clarity) -

!SESSION 2007-08-16 13:36:46.123 -----------------------------------------------eclipse.buildId=I20070625-1500
java.version=1.5.0_11
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_CA

Framework arguments: -application org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command install -from file:\D:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3 Plug-in\com.adobe.flexbuilder.update.site/ -featureId com.adobe.flexbuilder.feature.core -version 3.0.172437

Command-line arguments: -application org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command install -from file:\D:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3 Plug-in\com.adobe.flexbuilder.update.site/ -featureId com.adobe.flexbuilder.feature.core -version 3.0.172437

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.core 4 0 2007-08-16 13:36:55.655

!MESSAGE Feature
com.adobe.flexbuilder.feature.core 3.0.172437 cannot be found on file:/D:/Program Files/Adobe/Flex Builder 3 Plug-in/com.adobe.flexbuilder.update.site/

or a newer version is already installed.

------------------------------------------

So, it could not find Featurecom.adobe.flexbuilder.feature.core 3.0.172437 ? Or a new version was installed? I will write up my investigation on this in a separate article.

1 comment:

James Ward said...

I think there is an open bug on this.

I've only used Eclipse Classic because I've had problems with the J2EE and J2SE installs in the past.